Sunday 19 August 2007

My own classroom

The keyring still said Alicia on it, but it was mine.

Room 24.

I opened the door slowly and walked in. Tables covered in dust sheets, a globe (great), fans on the ceiling, teacher’s desk in the corner… I went over and sat down. At my desk.

‘Wow... This is my desk’ I said to myself. ‘My classroom’.

I sat for a while in a daze looking around and around. A big smile on my face and forcing myself to breathe. I felt simultaneously excited and terrified.
Panic as I counted in my head. Only three days to change this place from a dusty packed up room to a lively, attractive classroom. I felt like I’d forgotten everything I knew about teaching.

‘Let’s see if the computer works’, I said to myself. It did. And the internet, and the printer and even iTunes!

Grabbed some CDs from the car and got to work. Within half an hour I was happily knee deep in papers, my head full of possible seating arrangements and display ideas.

2 comments:

rebecca flynn said...

Oh the things that will happen and grow in Room 24!! !!!! Hooray! When can we do a roadtrip in the Kia? Do u get breaks?

Topsy said...

yes!!! Xmas or Easter?