Sunday 2 December 2007

81 degrees

The xmas decorations seem strange to me in the suffocating heat of San Salvador. Chayo doesn't care and bugs me everyday with "Is it Christmas tomorrow Mum?".

It's Sunday, I'm in my classroom, surrounded by piles of books which need marking. If I get on I might have time for a swim later.

Was woken up early this morning by cockrels crowing and kids shouting. I'd stayed the night in Dimas, the small village about an hour away from the capital, where I used to live and really it's the El Salvador that I love. I've realised that it's 10 years this December since I first went there. It's amazing to see the kids grow up and the community change. There's now running water in every house, a paved plaza, and even internet and flushable toilets!

Soon Marisol will graduate as a teacher, supported by the Eductaion for the Future fund that we set up. When she gets a job she will give a proportion of her salary back to the fund to help other young people in the village go to university.

http://www.educationforthefuture.blogspot.com

No comments: