Tuesday 12 February 2008

You are my sunshine

All week they’d been acting a little weird but on the morning of 14th February there was complete hysteria in the classroom. “You have to go to Mr Santamaria’s room at lunchtime” they said giggling and whispering. “And please leave our classroom door open”.

So I did as I was told, and when given the instruction went back to my room.

24 nine year olds jumped out hooting “SURPRISE”, hugged me madly, then broke into song: “You are my sunshine, my only sunshine, you make me happy…”.

I looked around the room: the cut out hearts decorating the walls, chairs and tables all carefully moved into position, the fizzy drinks, the cake that read “Thanks for being a great teacher”, the music teacher who’d been commandeered to play the guitar…

I wiped a tear from my eye.
Dia de l’Amistad, Friendship Day, El Salvador.

No comments: